Formulas offer a powerful way to transform the data in your report. Formulas allow you to perform functions within a report including:
- Perform mathematical functions on the data in your report
- Use logical functions to replace data
- Remove unwanted spaces or shorten text
- Format a number as currency or a percentage
- Format dates and time
- Remove decimal points and round numbers
- Calculate elapsed time
- Count the number of characters in a response
Adding a formula will create a new column in your report. That column is then available for sorting, grouping, filtering, crosstabs and charts, or another formula. You can also hide, move, and resize a column created by a formula like you can any other column.
To create a formula use the "Formula" button.
- The name you give the formula will be the name of the column that is added to your report.
- Once you have named your formula, it is often easiest to visit Formula Help.
- There, you can find a list of available formulas along with instructions on how to use them.
Tip: It's often easiest to copy a formula from Formula Help into your report and then replace its contents with details (column names, values, etc.) from your report.
- Formulas can be entered in the text box labeled "Formula”. You will need to refer to other columns inside each formula. Other columns can be added by selecting them from the dropdown list next to "Insert a column" and clicking "Insert" or by adding the name of the column inside brackets to the formula you are writing.